This agreement outlines active steps we as a group take to ensure a positive, productive and respectful living and working environment.
The basic tenet of the agreement is respect – respect each other (our backgrounds, identities, ideas and bodies) – and respect the space we’ve created together.
- Everyone has an equal right to be heard and an equal responsibility to listen (people who are used to talking may feel the benefit of listening more, and vice versa).
- Respect and look after the land/infrastructure as a physical space and a resource for all.
- However strongly you feel about a particular topic, resist abusive discussions.
- Any behaviour – physical or verbal – that demeans, marginalises or dominates others, or perpetuates hierarchies, is not welcome.
- Identify your own privileges – the things that sometimes give you an easier ride than others – and actively challenge them.
- Be aware of the range of different identities (gender, race, class) that people may identify with, and avoid making generalisations, or assumptions about people.
- Be aware that anyone in the space could be a survivor of a particular form of oppression, for example, violence or racism.
- If someone is feeling uncomfortable, do not hesitate to raise this.
- It is everyone’s responsibility to challenge prejudice & oppression, and if we ignore it we are complicit in it.
It is up to all of us to help create a space where everyone feels safe and included.